Thursday, November 6, 2008

A brighter(ish) future

I was going to try avoiding talking about politics on here too much, mainly because I studied international politics at uni and therefore once I start I might not stop. But, of course, something rather big happened here in the States on Tuesday evening. Something that I truly feel honoured to have been here to witness.

However, the great feeling of hope and expectation that is enveloping so much of the country is, for me (and I'm sure many others) tinged with a little sadness. As Peonies has also talked about today, in Arizona, Florida and California bans were passed stopped same sex marriages and in Arkansas a ban to stop non-married couples adopting or fostering was passed. The supporters of this in Arkansas admitted this was mainly to stop same sex couples being able to adopt. In all 30 states now have bans on same sex marriage. As Americans now prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving I find myself believing that somehow this country has gone a bit topsy turvy! The pilgrims braved the journey to this new land to escape religious persecution and now just over 200 years later, religion is being used to inhibit the lives of this country's citizens. Whether it be same-sex marriage or a woman's right to choose I really believe that religion and conservative groups should BACK OFF. Sorry really felt the need to get that off my chest. Why should one person's beliefs change the way another lives their life? If two people love each other and want to express their love by marrying - does it impact on my life? NO! It makes me so angry, I truly hope that the fight will be won in the not too distant future.

On a brighter note two animal rights bills passed, YAY!!!

I work with a girl who was a big McCain supporter, yesterday she just kept saying how she was going to leave the country for the next 4 years then she actually said "I am literally praying somebody assassinates Obama and does it before January 20th". I had to pause and question her, "You mean you want those two little girls to grow up without a father?" Her response "If that's what it takes to save this country". Views like that are terrifying and she is a young educated person living and working here in New York. What is also scary is that she is believing of so many of the lies about Obama (he's Muslim, he's not a natural born citizen). If educated people are thinking like this what is being thought in other parts of the country? I'm praying for Obama to have the strength to do all that he has promised for this country. Expectations are high and he has some serious work to do, things will be tough for while but the future is looking brighter.

PS After hearing this "Sasha and Malia, I love you both so much, and you have earned the new puppy that's coming with us to the White House", do you you really think those little girls care that Daddy is president?! All they will want is to get their hands on the new puppy!

No comments: